Saturday, August 15, 2009

Mom's Surgery

Mom went in for her first reconstruction surgery on Friday morning. The surgery lasted a whopping six hours. Sarah and I drove down to Providence Medical Center to say hi. You would think that finding your way around a hospital would be easy, but no it's not. First we were honked at because Sarah was driving the wrong way in the parking garage. Then we couldn't find a parking spot. Once we were out of the car we had to find mom's room. Because of mom's previous treatments I knew my way around the East wing, but were we in the East wing? No, we had to search the whole entire West wing to find the Green Elevators. Why couldn't we just take the Gold, Yellow, or Purple Elevators? Providence has a weird system or getting around. After endless back and forth walking, we found the room.
Mom was drugged up, as expected. Those pain meds gave her a crazy sense of humor. She was crackin' joke all night long. I'd repeat some of the things she said, but it's a lot funnier coming from a drugged up patient. When she goes in for her next surgery I am definitely having a hidden camera record all the silly stuff she says.
Mom had six tubes coming out of her. One thing I want to do is try on the air tubes that go in your nose, just sounds cool.
Dad had been in the room with mom ALL day, so we went down to the cafeteria to eat. Surprisingly, the food was good.
Dad slept at the hospital with mom. But I feel sorry for the other people in the hospital who had to hear him snoring.
Sarah and I went down to the five dollar jewelry sale. I got her a watch for her birthday, and I got myself an amazing, blue scarf.
Sarah and I left around eight that night.
My mom's doctor drew a smiley face for mom. He came in and checked up on mom. He is in a rock band...I've always wondered what fun stuff doctors do after a day of serious surgeries.
Mom gets to come home next Tuesday. I'll be sure to keep you all updated on how the family is doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, tell me what's going on in that head of yours...