Saturday, March 19, 2011

Quinoa Muffins

Spring Break means I have time to explore the wonderful world of cooking and baking. Ever since I began running, I have been searching high and low for a recipe that would give me my protein for after workouts. Recently, I found a recipe for Whole Wheat- Honey Quinoa Muffins. I felt the recipe was lacking in some areas, so I added a few of my favorite healthy ingredients. The muffins turned out great. I recommend them for anyone needing a new way to get their source of protein. They would be a hearty addition to a nice breakfast too.

Quinoa Muffins
Preheat oven 350F
Makes 12 muffins
1c Quinoa
2c Flour
1 1/2tsp Baking Powder
1tsp Salt
1/2tsp Baking Soda
1/2c Dried Cranberries
4Tbsp Ground Flaxseed
1/3c Chopped Walnuts
1/2c Lowfat Milk
2/3c Honey
1/4c Light Olive Oil
1 Egg
1tsp Vanilla Extract
In a medium saucepan, bring quinoa and two cups of water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover; and let cook for 15-20 mins, until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Let cool.
(This was the first time I'd cooked with quinoa. Note to self: one cup of uncooked quinoa makes about 3 cups after cooked.)


In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cranberries, walnuts, flax seed, and the cooked quinoa.

In a small bowl, whisk together milk, honey, oil, egg, and vanilla.

Add milk mixture to flour mixture, and stir until combined (do not over mix).

Divide the batter into muffin cups.

Bake 20-30 minutes. I used a convection oven, and baked the muffins on 350F for 20 mins.

These muffins freeze really well.

Enjoy!

For those of you who like to know the Nutrition Facts....

Quinoa: 1 cup 170g. 626cal, 93cal from fat. Daily Value: Total fat 10g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 9mg, Total Carbohydrate 109g, Dietary Fiber 12g, Protein 24g.

Quinoa Muffin (if I did the calculations right, which I doubt) : 1 muffin 87g. 233cal, 84cal from fat. Daily Value: Total fat 10g, Cholesterol 18mg, Sodium 261mg, Total Carbohydrate 33g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Protein 6g.

1 comment:

Hey, tell me what's going on in that head of yours...